Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mapped out

Maps make everything simple.
They eliminate uncertainty
and assure you that everything you need to know
is one dimensional.

I love pouring over them
and plotting destinations with my finger.
Each place is labelled with an interesting name
and they're all so close together.
I can go everywhere
from this god's-eye view.

It's only when you're dropped on the ground
that the ambiguity really hits you
that the straight and narrow
is filled with un-named forks
requiring endless blind choices and rejections

that left might be right
and foward might actually be back

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your post Mapped Out a lot. Reminded me of that song " From a distance...", I don't really know who sang it.

The world is so different from far away isn't it? And the reality hits you when u really touch it, feel it and live it.

3:48 PM  
Blogger jacqueline b said...

Sure does. But altho that more philosophical meaning dominates in the post, I was actually writing very literally - from looking at the map, I always think it's going to be so easy and quick to get to where I want to go, and then I invariably find that the single path is actually about 20 goat trails!
I love the Nancy Griffith version of that song; thanks for the reminder.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recognise this feeling. I've often thought maps are by far the easiest way to travel. Particularly in the NZ mountains...

10:48 AM  
Blogger jacqueline b said...

hah! yes.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home